SUPAFIL® sustainability

Sustainability Achieved With Supafil
SUPAFIL® sustainability
You're visiting the global website of Knauf Insulation
Recycled Glass Vise Plant Belgium

SUPAFIL® 's contribution to the environment

Knauf Insulation is committed to zero waste to landfill and zero carbon as part of our For A Better World sustainability strategy.

In line with this strategy, the SUPAFIL® Blowing Wool range has impeccable credentials when it comes to sustainability and is manufactured from 99% glass — up to 80% of which is recycled. The Blowing Wool can also be reused or recycled at the end of a building’s life.

Detailed information about the solution’s low environmental impact can be found in our independently audited Environmental Product Declarations available here.

SUPAFIL is also certified Eurofins Gold for Indoor Air Quality as well as rated Green Guide A+ and certified by Blue Angel for its low environmental impact.

Full details of these third-party certifications and insight into how SUPAFIL can contribute credits in LEED, BREEAM, HQE and WELL are available in our Green Building factsheets here.

SUPAFIL® is Red List Free

As we spend around 90% of our time indoors it is essential that the building materials we put into our homes, offices and schools are safe.

Unfortunately, there is very little insight available for customers who want to know the composition and ingredients of building materials. Substances such as flame-retardants or added formaldehyde can be harmful and customers should have a right to be correctly informed.

SUPAFIL Red List Free Ok Pic

That is why at Knauf Insulation, we are proud that SUPAFIL was the first European Blowing Wool to be independently certified free of any harmful Red List substances by Declare — a label established by the non-profit organisation, the International Living Future Institute.

SUPAFIL is made up of 99% glass with the remaining 1% composed of silicone to make it water repellent, mineral oil to ensure effective flow and an anti-static to avoid electric charging.

Composition of SUPAFIL® 

  • 99% glass
  • Less than 1%
    • Silicone (to make it water repellent)
    • Mineral oil (to avoid dust and to create a good blowing flow)
    • Anti-static (to avoid electric charging)

Thus, its components are not harming: neither for our health and safety, nor for our planet. 

end of life

The product can either be:

  • Salvageable

  • Reusable in its Entirety

  • Put in a landfill

SUPAFIL® is produced in several certified manufacturing sites all over Europe, making it 100% transparent and 100% safe.

SUPAFIL Being Transported Truck

SUPAFIL® cuts carbon

Installing SUPAFIL Blowing Wool makes buildings more energy efficient cutting energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions including CO2.

In addition, SUPAFIL can be highly compressed allowing more product on each truck pallet requiring fewer transportation trips and CO2 than many other insulation products.

Furthermore, the Blowing Wool also requires less density than other insulation materials such as cellulose to achieve excellent thermal performance.

These two factors mean that transportation distances and truck CO2 are reduced.

For example, according to GaBi LCA software tool calculations, for a dedicated R-value, to achieve an R=7 value in a loft of 1,000 m² would require 2.3 more transportation CO2 for cellulose than SUPAFIL*. For Loft application, R=7, this makes an additionnal transport impoact of 287 kg of CO2 for 1000 m²

* This figure is calculated using an open blowing density of SUPAFIL of 12 kg /m³ compared to cellulose’s 34 kg /m³; a frame blowing density of SUPAFIL® of 35 kg /m³  compared to cellulose’s 50 kg /m³ and a transport distance of 600 km. The resulting truck weight utilisation efficiency would be 49% for SUPAFIL compared to 33% for cellulose.


Thermal performance

The most important contribution is its great thermal performance, which allows to make buildings highly efficient, save energy and hence reduce emissions.