Sustainable buildings and Green Building Rating Systems
The green construction industry is moving fast with a growing trend for Green Building Rating Tools. Our products inherently reduce energy, but on top of that our insulation products and systems are amongst the most sustainable, from high levels of recycled content in our Mineral Wool, which was the first to receive Gold for Eurofins Indoor Air Comfort Gold certification in 2010 to responsibly sourced wood for our Wood Wool. Furthermore, our products are supported by an EPD (Environmental Product Declaration) and other performance certification, proving that we are pioneering in product sustainability and that our insulation contributes to greener, more sustainable buildings. The green construction industry is moving fast with a growing trend for building sustainability rating tools.
Using Knauf Insulation products in green buildings
Using our products earns points in Green Building Rating Systems. The following documents can be used to show which categories our products contribute to earning points in the various schemes.
- BREEAM International - Compliance Blowing Wool Supafil
- BREEAM International - Compliance Glass Mineral Wool
- BREEAM International - Compliance Rock Mineral Wool
- BREEAM International - Compliance Urbanscape
- BREEAM International - Compliance Wood Wool Heraklith
BREEAM International New Construction 2016 documents
- BREEAM International NC – Compliance Glass Mineral Wool
- BREEAM International NC – Compliance Mineral Plus
- LEED version 2009 compliance Blowing Wool Supafil
- LEED version 2009 compliance Glass Mineral Wool
- LEED version 2009 compliance Rock Mineral Wool
- LEED version 2009 compliance Wood Wool Heraklith
- LEED v4 compliance Blowing Wool Supafil
- LEEDv4 compliance Glass Mineral Wool
- LEED v4 compliance Mineral Plus
- LEED v4 compliance (traditional) Rock Mineral Wool
- LEED v4 compliance ECOSE Rock Mineral Wool
- LEED v4 compliance Urbanscape
- LEED v4 compliance Wood Wool Heraklith
- Knauf Insulation Wood Wool Heraklith REACH letter of compliance
- Knauf Insulation Blowing Wool Supafil REACH letter of compliance
- Knauf Insulation Glass Mineral Wool REACH letter of compliance
- Knauf Insulation Rock Mineral Wool REACH letter of compliance
- Knauf Insulation MINERAL PLUS ECOSE REACH letter of compliance
REACH Regulation (registration, evaluation, authorisation and restriction of chemicals) places responsibility on industry to manage the risks from chemicals and to provide safety information on the substances. Manufacturers and importers are required to gather information on the properties of their chemical substances, which will allow their safe handling, and to register the information in a central database.
KI products strictly comply with REACH regulation. This compliance provide additional points through building rating systems like LEEDv4 or BREEAM. These documents show REACH compliance.
Quick guide to four popular Green Building Assessment initiatives
BREEAM or Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method started in the UK in 1990 where it is now a voluntary initiative in the private sector and compulsory in the public sector. Points are awarded in line with sustainable approaches to energy and water use, internal environment, pollution, transport, materials, waste, ecology, management processes and the life-cycle of buildings. A total of 109 credits are available of which less than 30 is a fail, a good is 45, very good 55, excellent 70 and outstanding over 85.
LEED or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design started in 1993 in the US and is now popular worldwide as well as in North America. It covers new, existing, commercial and residential property and is concerned with energy, atmosphere, water efficiency, materials, resources and indoor environmental quality. There are a hundred points to achieve. To be certified you need above 40, to get silver >50, gold is >60 and platinum is >80 points and over.
HQE or Haute Qualité Environnementale (High Quality Standard) is a French initiative that started in 1996. Not as widely adopted as LEED or BREEAM, HQE is still committed to common aims including reducing energy and water use, minimal environmental impact on surroundings, a healthy internal environment and the full life-cycle of a building. It covers new and existing buildings from commercial properties to multi-family housing.
DGNB (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Nachaltiges Bauen or German Sustainable Building Council) was founded in 2008 and focuses on around 50 criteria ranging from environmental, economic, technological and work process aspects to sociocultural and functional dimensions. “A holistic approach is taken” meaning the system assesses the entire lifecycle of the building. Buildings are awarded DGNB certificates in bronze, silver or gold. In addition, there is the option of simple precertification in the planning phase.
Our products have been installed in many green buildings certified by one of the rating initiatives, such as LEED, BREEAM, HQE or DGNB. For more reference projects, see http://www.knaufinsulation.com/en/references and read below two BREEAM reference cases and how Knauf Insulation products contribute to Green Building Rating Systems.
Did you know? Our Headquarters in North America is also LEED certified, showing that we lead by example!
- How Green Building codes offer a unique opportunity to create sustainable buildings in the Middle East and how Knauf Insulation products measure up - Click here
- What is a Green Building and how do Knauf Insulation's solutions contribute? - Click here