Knauf Insulation aims to have zero negative impact on resource use. Reducing our impact includes research and development to substitute ingredients to those with lower environmental impact and increasing recycled content as well as water management and supply chain management. Furthermore, we’re understanding all that through thorough information on product sustainability, through Environmental Product Declarations.
- Depending on the manufacturing site, we have up to 80% recycled content in our Mineral Wool.
- We recorded a reduction in water use per cubic metre of 12.1% between 2013 and 2014
- Our Earthwool has been voted Turkey’s most Innovative Construction Product of the Year 2014 by the magazine company B2B Medya.
- Knauf Insulation was voted Supplier of the Year in 2014 in the Roofing and Insulation category of the National Buying Group (NBG) awards.
- Knauf Insulation was awarded the first of the new type EPDs (Environmental Product Declaration); ECO Platform EPDs by IBU, Institut Bauen und Umwelt. ECO Platform was set up to support the provision of type III Environmental Product Declaration across Europe through the harmonisation of a core content and format based on the standard EN 15804.
- In 2014, Knauf Insulation celebrated five years since the development and introduction of its binder technology, ECOSE Technology. With no added Formaldehyde, this binder was the first to be awarded the Eurofins Indoor Air Comfort Gold standard in 2010 for its enhanced environmental performance versus the previous Formaldehyde based binder
Environment management system
Knauf Insulation follows the important International Management Standards for Sustainability. We are certified by one of the leading conformity assessment organisations, Bureau Veritas.
Knauf Insulation’s environment management system is based on the continual improvement framework outlined in:
- ISO 14001 (Environmental Management) for all our Europe, Russia and CIS Plants,
- ISO 9001 (Quality Management) for all our Europe, Russia and CIS Plants.
- ISO 50001 (Energy Management) for all our Europe, Russia and CIS Plants
- OHSAS18001 (Health and Safety Management) for all our Europe, Russia and CIS Plants,
Lowering VOCs with ECOSE Technology
In 2009 we introduced a revolutionary new binder that has no added formaldehyde, which we integrated across our entire Glass Mineral Wool product range as well as part of our Rock Mineral Wool product range. In 2010 Knauf Insulation became the world’s first company to receive the coveted Eurofins Indoor Air Comfort Gold certificate for its Glass Mineral Wool with ECOSE Technology. The environmental credentials of ECOSE Technology products help contribute towards points in Green Building Rating Systems such as LEED and BREEAM. In the new version of LEED (LEEDv4, released in 2013) our Glass Mineral Wool with ECOSE Technology is 100% compliant for the insulation category in Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) credit for ‘Low-Emitting Materials’.
Click here to read how we improved the performance of our products without increasing the resources needed to produce them.